LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!
Shrimp Biryani is a layered rice dish and one of many recipes Zinobia Lakhani learned from her late mother-in-law. To toast saffron, stir in a small dry frying pan over medium heat until fragrant, 30 to 60 seconds.
More From Sunset
- Calories: 528
- Calories from fat: 27%
- Protein: 36g
- Fat: 16g
- Saturated fat: 3.5g
- Carbohydrate: 67g
- Fiber: 2.7g
- Sodium: 532mg
- Cholesterol: 182mg
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup chopped raw cashews
- 6 whole cardamom pods, crushed
- 4 dried bay leaves
- 1 cinnamon stick (about 2 in.)
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 onions (1 lb. total), peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 1/2 pounds peeled, deveined shrimp (31 to 40 per lb.), rinsed
- 1/2 teaspoon each chili powder, turmeric, and pepper
- About 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup plain whole-milk yogurt
- 2 cups basmati rice
- 2/3 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon saffron threads, toasted
- 1. Pour 1 tablespoon oil into a 10- to 12-inch pan over medium heat. Add cashews, cardamom, bay leaves, cinnamon stick, and cumin seeds; stir until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Pour into a bowl.
- 2. In pan, heat remaining tablespoon oil over medium-high heat. Add onions and garlic; stir until limp, 5 to 8 minutes.
- 3. Stir in shrimp, chili powder, turmeric, pepper, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and nut-spice mixture. Cook, stirring frequently, just until shrimp begin to turn pink, 2 to 3 minutes. Reduce heat to medium; stir in yogurt. Cook, stirring often, until most liquid has evaporated, about 15 minutes. Remove bay leaves and cinnamon stick.
- 4. Meanwhile, in a 5- to 6-quart pan over high heat, bring 2 1/2 quarts water to a boil. Add rice; boil uncovered until almost tender, 7 to 8 minutes. Drain and pour into a bowl. Stir in the lemon juice and salt to taste.
- 5. In a buttered 3 1/2-quart baking dish, spread about 1/3 of rice mixture level. Top with 1/2 shrimp mixture, spreading level. Repeat layers, ending with rice. Sprinkle evenly with saffron threads. Cover tightly with foil.
- 6. Bake biryani in a 350° oven until center is hot and rice is tender to bite, 20 to 25 minutes. Serve immediately, with raita.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note