Shrimp, Avocado, and Grapefruit Salad
We used small, sweet, sustainably harvested pink shrimp from Oregon. They shine in a simple salad like this. Prep Time: 30 minutes. Notes: Use 1 red grapefruit (such as Ruby) and 1 white grapefruit (such as Oroblanco) for a prettier salad, and their juice to make the vinaigrette.
More From Sunset
- Calories: 248
- Calories from fat: 65%
- Protein: 14g
- Fat: 18g
- Saturated fat: 2.6g
- Carbohydrate: 10g
- Fiber: 1.5g
- Sodium: 133mg
- Cholesterol: 111mg
- 2 grapefruit (see Notes)
- 1 to 2 tbsp. lemon juice, lime juice, or Champagne vinegar
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 head butter lettuce, separated into leaves, then washed and spun dry
- 3 tablespoons fresh chervil leaves
- 3 tablespoons fresh tarragon leaves
- 3 tablespoons fresh chopped chives
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 12 ounces cooked bay shrimp (also called salad shrimp)
- 1. With a small, sharp knife, cut off both ends of grapefruit. Following curve of fruit with knife, slice off peel and white pith. Cut between inner membranes and fruit to release segments; put into a medium bowl.
- 2. Squeeze the membranes into a strainer over a measuring cup to extract the juice and to remove any seeds. You need 1/4 cup juice; add a little lemon juice, lime juice, or Champagne vinegar to make up the difference. Stir in olive oil and set vinaigrette aside.
- 3. In a large bowl, combine the lettuce and fresh herbs. Pour the vinaigrette over the lettuce mixture and generously season with salt and pepper to taste. Carefully lift the lettuce and herbs out of the bowl and arrange them on a serving platter.
- 4. Add the avocado slices to the bowl of grapefruit and pour remaining vinaigrette from lettuce bowl over them. Toss gently just until coated, then scatter over the salad.
- 5. Sprinkle the shrimp over the salad and drizzle any vinaigrette remaining in the grapefruit bowl over the shrimp. Serve immediately.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note