Shrimp-and-Orzo Salad with Greek Flavors
- 1/2 pound orzo (about 1 cup)
- 1 pound large shrimp, shelled and halved lengthwise
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon red- or white-wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh-ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano, or 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 4 scallions including green tops, chopped
- 1/2 cup pitted and chopped black olives, such as Kalamata
- 1/4 pound feta, crumbled
- 1. In a large pot of boiling, salted water, cook the orzo until almost done, about 10 minutes. Add the shrimp to the pot and cook, stirring occasionally, until both the shrimp and orzo are done, 2 to 3 minutes longer. Drain thoroughly.
- 2. In a large glass or stainless-steel bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, vinegar, salt, pepper, and oregano; add the oil slowly, whisking.
- 3. Add the orzo and shrimp, the scallions, olives, and feta to the dressing and toss. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Variations:: · Substitute chopped fresh marjoram or dill for the oregano.: · Add some diced cucumber to the salad.: · Toss in some chopped tomatoes or halved cherry tomatoes.
- Wine Recommendation: Pinot blanc shows up in many versions around the world and is always at home with food. Here you should look to northern Italy's Friuli or Alto Adige for pinot blancs with subtle fruitiness and fresh herbal accents.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes