- 1 cup self-rising yellow cornmeal mix
- 1/2 cup self-rising flour
- 1 cup medium-size raw shrimp, chopped
- 1 teaspoon Creole seasoning
- 1/2 cup frozen diced onion, red and green bell pepper, and celery, thawed*
- 1/2 cup frozen cut okra, thawed and chopped
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup beer
- Canola oil
How to Make It
Stir together cornmeal mix and flour in large bowl until combined.
Sprinkle shrimp with Creole seasoning. Add shrimp, onion mixture, and okra to cornmeal mixture. Stir in egg and beer just until moistened. Let stand 5 to 7 minutes.
Pour oil to depth of 4 inches into a Dutch oven; heat to 350°. Drop batter by level tablespoonfuls into hot oil, and fry, in batches, 2 to 2 1/2 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Drain on a wire rack over paper towels; serve immediately.
Note: Keep fried hush puppies warm in a 225° oven for up to 15 minutes. For testing purposes only, we used McKenzie's Seasoning Blend for diced onion, red and green bell pepper, and celery.