Shrimp and Okra Gumbo
Share Your Personal Recipes
You can now share your personal recipes with the MyRecipes Community by making a new or existing recipe "Public".
Go to My Recipe File
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 10 tablespoon fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 4 ounces smoked ham, chopped
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 2/3 cup diced celery
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 pound fresh okra pods, sliced
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 3/4 pound peeled and deveined large shrimp
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add flour; cook 1 minute or until lightly browned, stirring constantly with a whisk. Add broth; stir with a whisk until thick. Pour into a bowl; set aside. Wipe pan clean with paper towels.
- 2. Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in pan over medium heat. Add onion and ham; cook 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add bell pepper and next 4 ingredients (through okra); cook 5 minutes or until vegetables are almost tender, stirring occasionally. Add broth mixture, water, and next 6 ingredients (through tomatoes). Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir in shrimp; cook 4 minutes or until shrimp are done. Sprinkle with parsley.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by anderkoa and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Shrimp and Okra Gumbo Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Main Dishes