Shrimp and Grits from the Wall Street Journal
Community Recipe from
- 4 cup(s) water
- 2 cup(s) milk
- 8 tablespoon(s) butter
- 2 teaspoon(s) salt
- 2 cup(s) stone-ground grits
- 1 cup(s) shrimp or chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon(s) bacon fat
- 1 cup(s) red bell pepper julienned
- 1/2 cup(s) tasso ham or smoked country ham
- 1 teaspoon(s) chopped garlic
- 1 pound(s) jumbo shrimp peeled & deveined
- 3 tablespoon(s) heavy cream
- 4 teaspoon(s) scallion greens thinly sliced
- To make the grits: Bring water, milk, butter & salt to a simmer. Slowly stir in the grits and simmer, stirring often, until grits are tender and just thick enough to adhere to a spoon, approx. 30 to 45 minutes. If grits become too thick before they are fully cooked, add more water, 1/4 cup at a time.
- To make the shrimp: In a sauce pan, reduce the shrimp or chicken stock by half. Meanwhile, heat bacon fat in a high-sided pan, add bell pepper & saute until pepper wilts. Add ham, garlic & the shrimp. Cook, stirring, 1 minute. Add the reduced stock and heavy cream. Cook over high heat until shrimp are just cooked through & the sauce is thick enough to lightly coat the back of a spoon, about 3 to 5 minutes more. Serve the shrimp mixture and sauce over the grits. Garnish each portion with 1 teaspoon sliced scallion greens.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by marybillingsley and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Shrimp and Grits from the Wall Street Journal Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Breakfast/Brunch
More Recipes for Main Dishes