Shrimp and Grit cakes
Share Your Personal Recipes
You can now share your personal recipes with the MyRecipes Community by making a new or existing recipe "Public".
Go to My Recipe File
- 2/3 cup(s) breadcrumbs
- 4 tablespoon(s) butter
- 1 cup(s) button mushrooms
- Egg wash (see details in instruction section)
- 1 cup(s) flour
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon(s) Low Country Seasoning (See instructions for ingredients)
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) minced garlic
- 6-8 Shrimp
- 1 cup(s) sliced Kielbasa sausage
- 3 sliced scallions (green part only)
- 1/4 cup(s) stone ground grits
- 1/4 cup(s) vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup(s) whole milk
- Egg Wash
- 1 Egg ($ .19)
- 1/8 cup milk
- Low country seasoning
- 1/4 tsp. black Pepper
- 1/4 tsp. Kosher Salt
- 1/4 tsp. Seasoned Salt
- 1/2 tsp. dried Basil
- 1/2 tsp. dried Oregano
- 1 tsp. Paprika
- 1 tsp. dried Parsley
- 1/4 tsp. white Pepper
- 1/4 tsp. Cayenne Pepper
- 1/4 tsp. crushed Red Pepper
- 1/4 tsp. granulated Garlic
- In a sauce-pan, bring the milk and 1 Tbsp. butter to a boil over medium heat. Next add grits and lower the heat to simmer. Stir frequently to prevent sticking. Cook approximately 30-40 minutes or until the grits are thick and no longer crunchy. Allow the grits to cool for 15 minutes then transfer on to a floured cooking pan. Spread the mixture evenly on the pan until it appears to be 1 inch thick. Cool the grits in the cooler for at least two hours. Remove the cooled grits and cut into triangles of equal size, then carefully remove them from the pan. Dust grit cakes with flour, dip in egg wash, and thoroughly coat with breadcrumbs. Heat enough vegetable oil to completely cover grit cakes when placed into the pan. Fry the grit cakes until golden brown; about 5-7 minutes. Reserve the finished grit cakes in a 200 degree oven. Next, mix the rest of the butter (3 Tbsp.), minced garlic and lemon juice with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Reserve at room temperature. Heat a saut pan, with the vegetable oil, on med high heat.
- Add the sliced sausage and mushrooms to the pan and saute until sausage has become brown. Keilbasa sausage is a polish, smoked sausage and can be found at most supermarkets. Any type of smoked sausage will work as a substitute when Kielbasa is not available. Next add peeled and de-veined shrimp and the low country seasoning. Cook the shrimp until they are almost cooked through then add the white wine and two sliced scallions and continue to cook for two additional minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and allow to rest.
- After the pan has rested for a couple minutes, add the reserved garlic butter and stir quickly to incorporate. Remove the grit cakes from the oven and place them into a serving bowl, then pour the shrimp mixture over the grit cakes. Garnish with the remaining scallions.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by ciwoodhouse and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Shrimp and Grit cakes Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Main Dishes