The first time I used fennel - and it was a delightful experience!
Photo: © Kana Okada
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
- 1 large white onion, finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1/2 fennel bulb, finely chopped
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 4 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 pound shelled and deveined large shrimp, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped dill
- 6 small , round or oblong zucchini 2 1/2 pounds halved lengthwise
- 1 1/2 cups crumbled feta (6 ounces)
- Preheat the oven to 425°. In a skillet, heat the 2 tablespoons of oil. Add the onion, bell pepper, fennel and garlic and cook over moderately high heat, stirring, until tender, 6 minutes. Add the tomatoes and crushed red pepper and cook, mashing, until thickened, 5 minutes. Season with salt and black pepper. Remove from the heat; let cool slightly. Stir in the shrimp, parsley and dill.
- Using a spoon, scoop out the flesh of the zucchini, leaving a 1/4-inch shell all around. Rub with oil. Season the zucchini shells with salt and pepper and stuff with the filling. Transfer to a lightly oiled roasting pan and roast for 30 minutes, until the filling is cooked through and the zucchini is just tender.
- Preheat the broiler and position a rack 6 inches from the heat. Top the zucchini with the feta and broil for 5 minutes, until the feta is melted and golden. Serve the stuffed zucchini hot or at room temperature.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables