I PERSONALLY LOVE ZUCCHINI BUT I DON'T LIKE SHREDDING THEM AND THAT 'S FOR A GOOD REASON I HAVE LEFT MY KNUCKLE SKIN UNDER THE GRATING PART OF A GRATER AND IT DOESN'T MAKE ME ANY LESS HAPPIER TO GRATE SOME MORE ZUCCHINI'S SO WHY WOULD I WANT TO DO IT AGAIN SO I WILL CONTINUE TO USE AN OLD GRATER TO GRATE MY VEGGIES AND I WILL BE CAREFUL NOT TO LEAVE MY SKIN UNDER THE GRATER BLADES !!!!
Chef Way: Ana Sortun tops stuffed zucchini with a tangy sauce of feta, olive oil and Hungarian peppers (spicy wax chiles).
Easy Way Top the roasted zucchini with a little feta, then broil briefly.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
- 1 large white onion, finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1/2 fennel bulb, finely chopped
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 4 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 pound shelled and deveined large shrimp, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped dill
- 6 small , round or oblong zucchini 2 1/2 pounds halved lengthwise
- 1 1/2 cups crumbled feta (6 ounces)
- Preheat the oven to 425°. In a skillet, heat the 2 tablespoons of oil. Add the onion, bell pepper, fennel and garlic and cook over moderately high heat, stirring, until tender, 6 minutes. Add the tomatoes and crushed red pepper and cook, mashing, until thickened, 5 minutes. Season with salt and black pepper. Remove from the heat; let cool slightly. Stir in the shrimp, parsley and dill.
- Using a spoon, scoop out the flesh of the zucchini, leaving a 1/4-inch shell all around. Rub with oil. Season the zucchini shells with salt and pepper and stuff with the filling. Transfer to a lightly oiled roasting pan and roast for 30 minutes, until the filling is cooked through and the zucchini is just tender.
- Preheat the broiler and position a rack 6 inches from the heat. Top the zucchini with the feta and broil for 5 minutes, until the feta is melted and golden. Serve the stuffed zucchini hot or at room temperature.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note