Shrimp-and-Crab Gumbo Over Grits
Photo: Jennifer Davick; Styling: Jan Gautro
You can also serve this stew over white rice. Cold beer with lime is the ideal pairing.
Yield: 6 servings
More From Coastal Living
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil, divided
- 1 (12-ounce) package andouille sausages, sliced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 large onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 1/2 celery ribs, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 3 cups fish stock or chicken broth
- 2 (14 1⁄2-ounce) cans diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 pound fresh okra, thinly sliced
- 6 fresh thyme sprigs
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- 1 cup quick-cooking or stone-ground grits
- 1 1/2 pounds large shrimp, peeled and deveined if desired
- 1/2 pound lump crabmeat
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 1 tablespoon filé powder, optional
- Hot sauce, optional
- 1. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large soup pot over medium-high heat. Add sausage, and cook 3 to 4 minutes or until browned on all sides. Transfer sausage to a plate with a slotted spoon.
- 2. Add remaining oil to drippings in pot to equal 1⁄4 cup. Whisk in flour. Cook over low heat, stirring frequently, 20 minutes or until mixture is dark reddish-brown.
- 3. Stir in onion and next 4 ingredients, and sauté over medium heat 8 minutes or until softened. Stir in stock and next 8 ingredients. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer, covered, 30 minutes.
- 4. Meanwhile, cook grits according to package directions. Cover, and keep warm.
- 5. Stir in sausage and shrimp, and cook 4 minutes or until shrimp are done. Add crab, and simmer until heated. Remove bay leaves, and stir in parsley and, if desired, filé powder. Serve gumbo over grits. Season with hot sauce, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes