- 6 anchovy fillets
- 2 cloves garlic
- Grated zest of 1/2 lemon
- 1 cup packed fresh mint leaves
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice (from about 1 lemon)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh-ground black pepper
- 1 pound large shrimp, shelled
- 2 small heads Boston lettuce (about 1/2 pound in all), torn into bite-size pieces (about 2 1/2 quarts)
How to Make It
In a blender, combine the anchovies, garlic, and lemon zest. Pulse to chop. Add the mint, oil, lemon juice, salt, and pepper and blend until smooth.
In a large pot of boiling, salted water, cook the shrimp until they just turn pink, 2 to 3 minutes. Drain the shrimp and transfer them to a medium glass or stainless-steel bowl. Toss the shrimp with half the dressing.
Put the lettuce in a large glass or stainless-steel bowl and toss with the remaining dressing. Put the greens on plates; top with the shrimp.
Variations:: · Grill the shrimp instead of boiling them. Large shrimp will need about three minutes per side.: · Substitute large sea scallops, either grilled or sautéed, for the shrimp.
Wine Recommendation: The refreshing flavor of this salad requires a similarly refreshing wine. For a nice, cool accompaniment, choose a light, herbal sauvignon blanc from Italy's Alto Adige or Collio regions.