I thought this recipe was great. Tons of depth of flavor and the steak was super tender. I also substituted the pepper for green chilies. It yielded enough that we're using it for steak tacos tonight. I've been thinking about it all day!
Shredded Flank Steak Mini-Sandwiches
Yield: Makes 16 mini-sandwiches
More From Southern Living
Amount per serving
- Calories: 189
- Calories from fat: 22%
- Fat: 5g
- Saturated fat: 1.3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.5g
- Protein: 13g
- Carbohydrate: 23g
- Fiber: 2g
- Cholesterol: 14mg
- Iron: 2mg
- Sodium: 512mg
- Calcium: 58mg
- 1 3/4 pounds flank steak, trimmed
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 large onion, quartered
- 4 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1 cup low-sodium fat-free chicken broth
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (14 1/2-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 to 1 1/2 teaspoons hot sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 16 mini-Hawaiian bread rolls, split*
- Sprinkle steak with 1/4 teaspoon salt.
- Place steak, quartered onion, pressed garlic, and broth in a 3-quart pressure cooker.
- Cover cooker with lid, and seal securely. Set on high-pressure setting, if available. Cook over medium-high heat until pressure cooker steams and full pressure is achieved. Reduce heat to medium, and cook for 45 minutes.
- Remove from heat; release pressure. Carefully remove lid so that steam escapes away from you. Remove meat from cooker. Let cool slightly. Strain onion mixture, reserving broth for another use; discard solids.
- Sauté chopped onion and bell pepper in hot oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat 7 minutes or until tender. Add minced garlic, and sauté 2 minutes. Stir in remaining 1 teaspoon salt, diced tomatoes, lime juice, hot sauce, ground cumin, and pepper; cook, stirring occasionally, 7 minutes or until most of the liquid evaporates.
- Shred beef, and coarsely chop; add to tomato mixture. Spoon about 1/4 cup meat mixture over bottom half of each roll; cover with tops of rolls.
- *Hawaiian bread rolls may be found in the deli section of your supermarket. Other small rolls may be substituted.
- Note: For testing purposes only, we used a Fagor 3-Quart MULTIRAPID Pressure Cooker. If you have another model, cook according to manufacturer's instructions.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Sandwiches