I thought this recipe was great. Tons of depth of flavor and the steak was super tender. I also substituted the pepper for green chilies. It yielded enough that we're using it for steak tacos tonight. I've been thinking about it all day!
Shredded Flank Steak Mini-Sandwiches
More From Southern Living
Amount per serving
- Calories: 189
- Calories from fat: 22%
- Fat: 5g
- Saturated fat: 1.3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.5g
- Protein: 13g
- Carbohydrate: 23g
- Fiber: 2g
- Cholesterol: 14mg
- Iron: 2mg
- Sodium: 512mg
- Calcium: 58mg
- 1 3/4 pounds flank steak, trimmed
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 large onion, quartered
- 4 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1 cup low-sodium fat-free chicken broth
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (14 1/2-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 to 1 1/2 teaspoons hot sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 16 mini-Hawaiian bread rolls, split*
- Sprinkle steak with 1/4 teaspoon salt.
- Place steak, quartered onion, pressed garlic, and broth in a 3-quart pressure cooker.
- Cover cooker with lid, and seal securely. Set on high-pressure setting, if available. Cook over medium-high heat until pressure cooker steams and full pressure is achieved. Reduce heat to medium, and cook for 45 minutes.
- Remove from heat; release pressure. Carefully remove lid so that steam escapes away from you. Remove meat from cooker. Let cool slightly. Strain onion mixture, reserving broth for another use; discard solids.
- Sauté chopped onion and bell pepper in hot oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat 7 minutes or until tender. Add minced garlic, and sauté 2 minutes. Stir in remaining 1 teaspoon salt, diced tomatoes, lime juice, hot sauce, ground cumin, and pepper; cook, stirring occasionally, 7 minutes or until most of the liquid evaporates.
- Shred beef, and coarsely chop; add to tomato mixture. Spoon about 1/4 cup meat mixture over bottom half of each roll; cover with tops of rolls.
- *Hawaiian bread rolls may be found in the deli section of your supermarket. Other small rolls may be substituted.
- Note: For testing purposes only, we used a Fagor 3-Quart MULTIRAPID Pressure Cooker. If you have another model, cook according to manufacturer's instructions.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note