Shredded Beef with Tomatillo Sauce
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 pound (about 8 large) tomatillos, husks removed and tomatillos quartered
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 serrano chile, coarsley chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 ounces skirt steak
- 1/4 large onion, quartered
- 1 large garlic clove, crushed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon salt
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add tomatillos and next 3 ingredients; sauté 7 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Pulse tomatillo mixture, cilantro, and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a food processor until coarsely chopped. Transfer to a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Combine skirt steak, remaining 4 ingredients, and water to cover in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 1 hour and 45 minutes or until meat is tender.
- Remove steak to a medium bowl, discarding onion and seasonings. When cool enough to handle, shred meat. Stir in tomatillo sauce. Serve with fresh sopes.
- Tip: You may substitute flank steak for skirt steak. Cook 2 1/2 hours or until tender.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Appetizers