I added an extra ounce of beef broth and wine, and I am glad I did. Shop around for the porcini's, one place was twice the price of another. I served over egg noodles.
Shredded Beef and Mushroom Ragu
Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 3/4 cup)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 331
- Calories from fat: 46%
- Fat: 17g
- Saturated fat: 6.8g
- Monounsaturated fat: 7.9g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.7g
- Protein: 30.4g
- Carbohydrate: 11.1g
- Fiber: 3.1g
- Cholesterol: 79mg
- Iron: 5.1mg
- Sodium: 366mg
- Calcium: 29mg
- 1 cup hot water
- 2 cups dried porcini mushrooms (about 2 ounces)
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 beef short ribs, trimmed (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 cups thinly sliced cremini mushrooms (about 8 ounces)
- 2 cups thinly sliced onion (about 1 medium)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1 cup fat-free, less-sodium beef broth
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Combine 1 cup hot water and porcini mushrooms in a small bowl; let stand 10 minutes. Drain mushrooms through a fine sieve into a bowl, reserving liquid. Chop mushrooms; set aside.
- Sprinkle 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper over ribs; dredge ribs in flour. Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add ribs to pan; cook 12 minutes, browning on all sides. Remove ribs from pan. Add porcini mushrooms, cremini mushrooms, and next 4 ingredients (through garlic) to pan; cook 12 minutes or until mushrooms are tender. Add wine, scraping pan to loosen brown bits. Add mushroom liquid and broth; bring to a boil. Add ribs to pan; cover. Place pan in oven; bake at 350° for 2 1/2 hours or until ribs are tender. Let stand 10 minutes. Remove meat from bones; discard bones, fat, and gristle. Shred meat with 2 forks; return meat to pan. Stir in remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cool completely. Place mixture in an airtight container or heavy-duty zip-top plastic bag; freeze.
- Thaw meat mixture overnight in refrigerator. Place mixture in a large saucepan over medium heat; cook until thoroughly heated, stirring frequently.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Soups/Stews