Shortcut Hungarian Goulash
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 557
- Calories from fat: 18%
- Protein: 46g
- Fat: 11g
- Saturated fat: 3.5g
- Carbohydrate: 68g
- Fiber: 4.2g
- Sodium: 503mg
- Cholesterol: 157mg
- 1 onion (1/2 lb.)
- 2 red or green bell peppers or 1 of each (1 lb. total)
- 2 Roma tomatoes (1/2 lb. total)
- 1 teaspoon salad oil
- 2 tablespoons Hungarian or regular paprika
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1 cup fat-skimmed beef broth
- 1 pound dried egg noodles
- 1 package (about 2 lb.) cooked boned beef pot roast with gravy
- Chopped parsley (optional)
- 1. In a 5- to 6-quart covered pan over high heat, bring 2 1/2 to 3 quarts water to a boil.
- 2. Peel and thinly slice onion. Rinse, stem, and seed peppers; slice lengthwise into 1/4-inch-wide strips. Rinse and core tomatoes; cut each lengthwise into 6 wedges.
- 3. In a 12-inch nonstick frying pan or a 5- to 6-quart nonstick pan over high heat, stir onion and bell peppers in oil until limp, about 5 minutes. Add paprika and caraway seed; stir. Add tomatoes and broth; stir until boiling.
- 4. Add noodles to boiling water and cook until barely tender to bite, about 5 minutes; drain.
- 5. Meanwhile, discard any solidified fat from pot roast and sauce. Scrape sauce from meat and mix with vegetables in frying pan. Cut beef across the grain into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Put slices in pan; cover, reduce heat, and simmer until beef is hot, 5 to 6 minutes.
- 6. Pour hot noodles onto a rimmed platter. With a wide, slotted spatula, lift beef from pan and mound on noodles. Spoon vegetables and sauce around and over beef. Sprinkle with parsley.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes