I made this for Thanksgiving this year. I didn't follow exactly but it was great. Used leftover scratch breakfast biscuits & a skillet of regular cornbread made with Martha White cornmeal mix instead of the little pouches. Made it the night before & chilled till morning. Set it out to lose some of the chill & then baked as instructed. Very tasty, good texture & seasoning. I can stop looking for the perfect Southern Cornbread Dressing recipe now that I have this in my arsenal.
Shortcut Cornbread Dressing
More From Oxmoor House
- 2 (6-oz.) packages cornbread mix (we tested with Martha White)
- 1 (6-oz.) can refrigerated buttermilk biscuits
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 1 large onion, chopped (2 cups)
- 5 celery ribs, chopped (1 1/2 cups)
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons rubbed sage
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- Prepare cornbread mix and biscuits according to package directions; let cool. Crumble cornbread and biscuits in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat; add onion and celery, and sauté until tender. Add sautéed vegetables, broth, and remaining ingredients to crumbled cornbread; stir well. Spoon dressing into a lightly greased 13" x 9" baking dish.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 55 minutes or until browned.
- Make-Ahead Note: Prepare recipe as directed; do not bake. Cover and freeze dressing up to 3 months or refrigerate up to 24 hours. Remove from refrigerator; let stand 30 minutes. Uncover and bake as directed.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables