Simple and easy to make. Missing a texture though. Will make again and experiment
Shortcut Chicken Cassoulet
This easy chicken cassoulet is a great choice for busy weeknights. Serve with a green salad and crusty bread for a complete meal.
Yield: Makes 4 servings
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 452
- Calories from fat: 24%
- Protein: 45g
- Fat: 12g
- Saturated fat: 4g
- Carbohydrate: 40g
- Fiber: 11g
- Sodium: 1003mg
- Cholesterol: 125mg
- 4 boned, skinned chicken thighs (4 oz. each)
- 8 ounces turkey kielbasa (Polish) sausages
- 1 ounce French bread
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 onion (8 oz.), peeled and chopped
- 2 carrots (8 oz. total), peeled and chopped
- 2/3 cup fat-skimmed chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 2 cans (15 oz. each) cannellini (white) beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1. Remove and discard excess fat from chicken; rinse thighs and pat dry. Cut sausages into 1/2-inch-thick slices.
- 2. Cut or tear bread into 1/2-inch chunks. Whirl in a food processor or blender into coarse crumbs; you should have 1/2 cup. In a 5- to 6-quart nonstick pan over medium-high heat, stir crumbs in 1/2 teaspoon olive oil until lightly browned and crisp, about 5 minutes. Scrape into a bowl.
- 3. Return pan to high heat; add remaining 1/2 teaspoon oil. When hot, add chicken and sausages; turn occasionally to brown on all sides, 4 to 6 minutes total. As chicken and sausages are browned, transfer to a plate. Add onion and carrots to pan; stir often until onion is limp, about 5 minutes.
- 4. Add broth, thyme, bay leaf, beans, chicken, and sausages; cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until chicken is no longer pink in center of thickest part (cut to test), 5 to 7 minutes.
- 5. Spoon cassoulet into shallow bowls and sprinkle with toasted bread crumbs and parsley. Add salt to taste.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note