Simple and easy to make. Missing a texture though. Will make again and experiment
Shortcut Chicken Cassoulet
This easy chicken cassoulet is a great choice for busy weeknights. Serve with a green salad and crusty bread for a complete meal.
Yield: Makes 4 servings
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 452
- Calories from fat: 24%
- Protein: 45g
- Fat: 12g
- Saturated fat: 4g
- Carbohydrate: 40g
- Fiber: 11g
- Sodium: 1003mg
- Cholesterol: 125mg
- 4 boned, skinned chicken thighs (4 oz. each)
- 8 ounces turkey kielbasa (Polish) sausages
- 1 ounce French bread
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 onion (8 oz.), peeled and chopped
- 2 carrots (8 oz. total), peeled and chopped
- 2/3 cup fat-skimmed chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 2 cans (15 oz. each) cannellini (white) beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1. Remove and discard excess fat from chicken; rinse thighs and pat dry. Cut sausages into 1/2-inch-thick slices.
- 2. Cut or tear bread into 1/2-inch chunks. Whirl in a food processor or blender into coarse crumbs; you should have 1/2 cup. In a 5- to 6-quart nonstick pan over medium-high heat, stir crumbs in 1/2 teaspoon olive oil until lightly browned and crisp, about 5 minutes. Scrape into a bowl.
- 3. Return pan to high heat; add remaining 1/2 teaspoon oil. When hot, add chicken and sausages; turn occasionally to brown on all sides, 4 to 6 minutes total. As chicken and sausages are browned, transfer to a plate. Add onion and carrots to pan; stir often until onion is limp, about 5 minutes.
- 4. Add broth, thyme, bay leaf, beans, chicken, and sausages; cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until chicken is no longer pink in center of thickest part (cut to test), 5 to 7 minutes.
- 5. Spoon cassoulet into shallow bowls and sprinkle with toasted bread crumbs and parsley. Add salt to taste.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes