- 1 (1-ounce) slice white bread
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 3 (3-ounce) smoked turkey and duck sausages (such as Gerhard's), cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 1/2 cup sliced celery
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced carrot
- 1 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 (15.8-ounce) cans Great Northern beans, drained and divided
- 2 cups coarsely chopped cooked turkey
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- calories 226
- caloriesfromfat 19 %
- fat 4.8 g
- satfat 1.5 g
- monofat 1.7 g
- polyfat 1.3 g
- protein 22.2 g
- carbohydrate 24.1 g
- fiber 4.1 g
- cholesterol 53 mg
- iron 3.4 mg
- sodium 535 mg
- calcium 99 mg
How to Make It
Preheat oven to 325°.
Place bread in a food processor; pulse 5 times or until coarse crumbs form to measure 1/2 cup. Arrange breadcrumbs on a jelly-roll pan; bake at 325° for 8 minutes or until golden. Set aside.
Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat until hot. Add sausages, and cook 3 minutes or until browned. Remove from pan; keep warm. Add onion, celery, and carrot to pan; saute 5 minutes. Return sausages to pan; stir in broth and next 5 ingredients (broth through tomatoes); bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 30 minutes. Remove from heat.
Mash 1/2 cup beans; stir into sausage mixture. Stir the remaining beans into sausage mixture. Spoon half of bean mixture into a 2 1/2-quart casserole dish; top with turkey and remaining bean mixture. Combine breadcrumbs and cheese; sprinkle over bean mixture. Bake at 325° for 30 minutes or until bubbly.