This dish is incrediblewe made meals for 3 days with this recipe. Short rib tacos the second night were awesome throw some bbq sauce on the nest day and have shredded rib sandwiches. The broth/sauce/gravy was the best gravy ever. So good I froze the left overs to have with steak and potatoes
Spiced Short Ribs with Roasted Baby Carrots and Cipollini Onions
Developed to accompany dark-fruited Petite Sirah, these short ribs are rich and warmly spiced and make a superb dinner for company on a fall or winter night. Serve alongside mashed potatoes spiked with freshly grated or prepared horseradish.
More From Sunset
3 Hours, 45 Minutes
- Calories: 852
- Calories from fat: 48%
- Protein: 74g
- Fat: 45g
- Saturated fat: 18g
- Carbohydrate: 35g
- Fiber: 7g
- Sodium: 1007mg
- Cholesterol: 220mg
- 4 pounds beef short ribs, about 4 in. long*
- About 1/2 tbsp. kosher salt
- About 1/2 tbsp. pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup coarsely chopped onion
- 1 cup coarsely chopped carrot
- 1 cup coarsely chopped celery
- 3 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 bottle (750 ml.) Petite Sirah or other dry red wine
- About 2 cups reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 1 cinnamon stick (2 in. long)
- 1 1/4 pounds multicolored or regular baby carrots, trimmed and scrubbed or peeled
- 1 1/4 pounds cipollini onions, peeled
- 1. Preheat oven to 300°. Rinse and dry short ribs. Sprinkle all over with 1/2 tbsp. each salt and pepper. Add 1 tbsp. oil and the butter to a large, deep ovenproof pot over medium-high heat. Working in batches, brown short ribs all over, about 5 minutes per batch, transferring to a bowl as done.
- 2. Add chopped onion, carrot, celery, garlic, and ginger to pot and cook, stirring often, until vegetables are beginning to brown, 7 to 8 minutes. Add cumin and coriander and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Sprinkle with flour and cook, stirring often, until golden brown. Pour wine and 2 cups broth into pot and add peppercorns and cinnamon stick; stirring constantly, bring to a boil. Return short ribs and any accumulated juices to pot. Liquid should just cover them; add a little more broth if necessary. Cover and bake until meat is very tender when pierced, 2 1/4 to 2 1/2 hours.
- 3. Meanwhile, spread baby carrots and cipollini onions in a 9- by 13-in. baking pan. Drizzle with remaining 1 tbsp. oil and mix to coat; cover with foil. Set in oven after ribs have baked about 1 1/2 hours, and bake 45 minutes. Remove foil and roast until vegetables are tender when pierced and beginning to brown, about 15 minutes longer. If necessary, broil 4 to 6 in. from heat to brown a little more, about 5 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- 4. Lift ribs from cooking liquid, cover, and keep warm. Strain liquid into a wide pan, skim off fat, and boil until sauce is reduced to about 2 cups and coats the back of a spoon, about 15 minutes.
- 5. Arrange ribs in wide, shallow bowls. Spoon carrots and cipollini onions around them and drizzle with a little sauce. Serve remaining sauce on the side.
- *Short ribs cut lengthwise are often called English-style. If they're too long, ask your butcher to cut them in half.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This