Made this tonight. It was pretty good! I halved the recipe since it was only me home tonight but otherwise pretty much as written. I thought I sliced the boneless short ribs as thinly as possible but they could have been even more tender. Next time I'd try cutting them the opposite way; I haven't worked with short ribs much beyond braising. The cheese sauce was good, a bit reminiscent of welsh rarebit and could probably pinch hit for rarebit with dark beer in place of some of the milk. (I had never made a sauce like that in the microwave but it worked surprisingly well!) Be sure to put the milk mixture in a larger bowl than you'd think. Even though I made only 1/2 the mixture with only 1/4 cup milk in a 2 cup glass measuring cup, it overflowed. I'd also do the last 30 seconds in 15 second increments. Messy but good!
Short Rib Cheesesteak Sandwiches
What Makes It Great: Pure hearty goodness: the richness of beefy short ribs napped in Dijon-spiked cheese sauce. You can find thinly cut boneless short ribs in many supermarkets, but especially in Asian markets, where this succulent meat is a popular choice for Korean barbecue and the Japanese dish sukiyaki. If you can't find presliced meat, freeze the short ribs for 30 minutes to firm them up; you'll get thinner slices.
More From Cooking Light
Total: 18 Minutes
- Calories: 356
- Fat: 11.7g
- Saturated fat: 4.9g
- Monounsaturated fat: 4.7g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.5g
- Protein: 22.3g
- Carbohydrate: 42.2g
- Fiber: 2.2g
- Cholesterol: 44mg
- Iron: 3.3mg
- Sodium: 743mg
- Calcium: 158mg
- 1 (12-ounce) French bread baguette
- 1/2 cup 1% low-fat milk
- 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 3/8 teaspoon salt, divided
- 2 ounces 50%-less-fat sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (about 1/2 cup)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1 cup vertically sliced onion
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 large orange bell pepper, cut into strips
- 12 ounces lean boneless beef short ribs, trimmed and very thinly sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1. Preheat broiler to high.
- 2. Cut bread in half lengthwise and again crosswise. Hollow out tops and bottoms of bread, leaving a 1/2-inch-thick shell. Place bread halves on a baking sheet, cut sides up. Broil 1 1/2 minutes or until toasted.
- 3. Combine milk, flour, and mustard in a medium microwave-safe bowl, stirring with a whisk. Microwave at HIGH 1 1/2 minutes or until thickened, stirring every 30 seconds. Remove from microwave; add 1/8 teaspoon salt and cheese, stirring until cheese melts.
- 4. Heat a large cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 teaspoon oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add onion, garlic, bell pepper, and 1/8 teaspoon salt; sauté 5 minutes or until tender. Remove onion mixture from pan; keep warm. Add remaining 1 teaspoon oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add beef, remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt, and black pepper to pan; sauté 3 minutes or until tender.
- 5. Divide beef mixture evenly among bottom halves of bread; top with onion mixture. Drizzle cheese sauce evenly over sandwiches. Top with top halves of bread; cut each sandwich in half.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note