Shiitake Mushroom and Spinach Manicotti
- 12 manicotti or cannelloni shells
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine, divided
- 4 1/2 cups sliced fresh shiitake or other mushrooms (8 ounces)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (10-ounce) package fresh spinach, coarse stems removed
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 3 ounces freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/3 cup butter or margarine
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Gouda cheese
- 2 7-grain sandwich bread slices (we tested with Branola)
- 1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded Mexican four-cheese blend
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
- Cook shells according to package directions; drain.
- Meanwhile, melt 3 tablespoons butter in a large skillet; add mushrooms and garlic, and sauté until mushroom liquid is absorbed. Transfer mushroom mixture to a large bowl.
- Melt remaining 1 tablespoon butter in skillet. Add spinach; cover and cook over medium-low heat 5 minutes or until spinach wilts. Add spinach to mushroom mixture. Stir in ricotta cheese and next 4 ingredients. Spoon spinach mixture evenly into shells. Place stuffed shells in a greased 13" x 9" baking dish.
- Melt 1/3 cup butter in a heavy saucepan over low heat; whisk in flour until smooth. Cook 1 minute, whisking constantly. Gradually whisk in half-and half; cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, until mixture is thickened and bubbly. Stir in 1/2 teaspoon salt. Add Gouda cheese, stirring until cheese melts. Pour over stuffed shells.
- Process bread in a blender or food processor until it resembles coarse crumbs. Spread crumbs in a small pan; bake at 350° for 3 to 4 minutes or until toasted. Combine toasted crumbs, cheese blend, and 3 tablespoons melted butter in a bowl; toss well, and sprinkle over shells.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 45 minutes or until bubbly.
- Note: If desired, cover and chill manicotti at least 8 hours before baking. Remove from refrigerator, and let stand at room temperature 30 minutes. Bake as directed.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This