Shiitake Mushroom Rice Cakes
Use a pair of kitchen shears to cut up the dried mushrooms; it's easier than using a knife. You can substitute olive or canola oil for grapeseed oil.
Yield: 9 servings (serving size: 1 cake)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 185
- Calories from fat: 28%
- Fat: 5.7g
- Saturated fat: 0.5g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.8g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 3.2g
- Protein: 3.1g
- Carbohydrate: 23.7g
- Fiber: 1.1g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Iron: 4.2mg
- Sodium: 252mg
- Calcium: 8mg
- 1 1/2 cups boiling water
- 1 ounce dried shiitake mushrooms, chopped
- 3 tablespoons grapeseed oil, divided
- 1/4 cup minced shallots
- 2 cups diced fresh shiitake mushroom caps (about 4 ounces)
- 1 cup uncooked sushi rice
- 3/4 cup sake
- 1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
- Cooking spray
- 1/2 cup panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
- 2 tablespoons black sesame seeds
- Place boiling water and dried mushrooms in a small bowl. Cover and let stand 30 minutes. Drain mushrooms, reserving liquid.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add shallots to pan; sauté 2 minutes or until tender. Add fresh and rehydrated mushrooms to pan; cook 5 minutes or until tender. Add rice to pan; cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Stir in sake; cook 3 minutes or until liquid is nearly absorbed, stirring constantly. Stir in 1/2 cup reserved mushroom liquid and soy sauce; cook 3 minutes or until liquid is nearly absorbed, stirring constantly. Add remaining mushroom liquid, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring constantly until each portion of liquid is absorbed before adding the next. Add water, 1/4 cup at a time, stirring constantly until each portion of water is absorbed before adding the next (about 16 minutes total). Stir in green onions.
- Form 9 cakes using a 1/3 cup dry measuring cup coated with cooking spray. Place cakes on a platter. Cover and chill 3 hours. Remove from refrigerator. Place panko in a shallow bowl. Place sesame seeds in a shallow bowl. Dredge each cake in panko on one side and sesame seeds on the other side.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add 5 cakes to pan; cook 3 minutes on each side or until lightly browned. Transfer to a platter. Repeat procedure with remaining 1 tablespoon oil and cakes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note