Great concentrated flavor of porcini mushroom and sherry in the broth - a little portion certainly goes a long way. This would be a very elegant first course to offer guests.
Sherried Mushroom Soup
Becky Luigart-Stayner; Jan Gautro
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 52
- Calories from fat: 35%
- Fat: 2g
- Saturated fat: 1.2g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.6g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.1g
- Protein: 3g
- Carbohydrate: 2.5g
- Fiber: 0.2g
- Cholesterol: 5mg
- Iron: 0.4mg
- Sodium: 401mg
- Calcium: 4mg
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 pound shallots, coarsely chopped
- 6 (14 1/2-ounce) cans fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 2 ounces dried porcini mushrooms
- Remaining ingredients:
- 2 cups thinly sliced shiitake mushroom caps (about 4 ounces mushrooms)
- 3/4 cup dry sherry
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- To prepare broth, melt butter in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add thyme and shallots; cook 10 minutes or until shallots are golden brown. Stir in chicken broth and porcini mushrooms; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 1 hour. Strain broth mixture through a sieve into a bowl; discard solids.
- Return broth mixture to pan. Stir in shiitake mushrooms and sherry; cook 10 minutes over low heat. Stir in chives. Serve immediately.
- Note: Make the broth up to four days ahead and refrigerate. Just before serving, add the shiitakes, sherry, and chives, and heat the mixture.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Soups/Stews