Sherried Lentil Salad
Notes: You can also use Eston, Le Puy, or Pardina lentils.
Yield: Makes 6 servings
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 333
- Calories from fat: 27%
- Protein: 21g
- Fat: 10g
- Saturated fat: 1.4g
- Carbohydrate: 43g
- Fiber: 8.1g
- Sodium: 112mg
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- 3 cups fat-skimmed chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups Beluga lentils (12 oz.; see notes), sorted and rinsed
- 1 cup minced onion
- 3/4 cup diced carrots
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 cup dry sherry
- 1 cup chopped drained canned peeled roasted red peppers
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced green onions (including tops)
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar or red wine vinegar
- 2 quarts lightly packed salad mix (6 oz.), rinsed and crisped
- Salt and pepper
- 1. In a 5- to 6-quart pan over high heat, bring broth, lentils, onion, carrots, celery, and thyme to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer 25 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add sherry and simmer until lentils are tender to bite, 5 to 10 minutes longer. Drain; reserve liquid.
- 2. Pour lentil mixture into a bowl and let cool to room temperature, about 40 minutes, stirring occasionally. Meanwhile, return cooking liquid to pan and boil over high heat until reduced to 1/2 cup, about 5 minutes. Let cool.
- 3. Stir liquid, chopped red peppers, and green onions into lentil mixture. In a bowl, mix oil and vinegar; stir half the dressing into lentil mixture. Add salad mix to bowl with remaining dressing; mix.
- 4. Spoon equal amounts of salad mix onto plates. Top equally with lentil mixture. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Salads