- 3 cups fat-skimmed chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups Beluga lentils (12 oz.; see notes), sorted and rinsed
- 1 cup minced onion
- 3/4 cup diced carrots
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 cup dry sherry
- 1 cup chopped drained canned peeled roasted red peppers
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced green onions (including tops)
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar or red wine vinegar
- 2 quarts lightly packed salad mix (6 oz.), rinsed and crisped
- Salt and pepper
- calories 333
- caloriesfromfat 27 %
- protein 21 g
- fat 10 g
- satfat 1.4 g
- carbohydrate 43 g
- fiber 8.1 g
- sodium 112 mg
- cholesterol 0.0 mg
How to Make It
In a 5- to 6-quart pan over high heat, bring broth, lentils, onion, carrots, celery, and thyme to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer 25 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add sherry and simmer until lentils are tender to bite, 5 to 10 minutes longer. Drain; reserve liquid.
Pour lentil mixture into a bowl and let cool to room temperature, about 40 minutes, stirring occasionally. Meanwhile, return cooking liquid to pan and boil over high heat until reduced to 1/2 cup, about 5 minutes. Let cool.
Stir liquid, chopped red peppers, and green onions into lentil mixture. In a bowl, mix oil and vinegar; stir half the dressing into lentil mixture. Add salad mix to bowl with remaining dressing; mix.
Spoon equal amounts of salad mix onto plates. Top equally with lentil mixture. Add salt and pepper to taste.