This sounds delicious but whoever wrote this its very hard to understand some of these recipes.
Sherried Banana-Strawberry Trifle
Génoise is ideal for a trifle because the cake nicely soaks up the liquid. Orange juice, brandy, or any liqueur can be substituted for the sherry. This is a perfect make-ahead dessert for the holidays.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 277
- Calories from fat: 25%
- Fat: 7.6g
- Saturated fat: 3.8g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.7g
- Protein: 6g
- Carbohydrate: 44g
- Fiber: 0.8g
- Cholesterol: 137mg
- Iron: 1.3mg
- Sodium: 129mg
- Calcium: 78mg
- Classic Genoise
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups 2% reduced-fat milk
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon rind
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Remaining ingredients:
- 1/2 cup seedless strawberry jam
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2/3 cup dry sherry
- 2 cups sliced bananas (about 2 large)
- 1 1/2 cups frozen reduced-calorie whipped topping, thawed
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds, toasted
- Prepare Classic Genoise in a 15 x 10-inch jelly-roll pan. Cool completely.
- To prepare the custard, combine sugar and next 4 ingredients (sugar through egg) in a bowl; stir well with a whisk, and set aside. Heat milk over medium-high heat in a small, heavy saucepan to 180° or until tiny bubbles form around the edge (do not boil). Gradually add hot milk to sugar mixture, stirring constantly with a whisk. Return milk mixture to pan; cook over medium heat until thick and bubbly (about 5 minutes), stirring constantly. Reduce heat to low; cook 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Place pan in a large ice-filled bowl until egg mixture comes to room temperature, stirring occasionally. Remove pan from ice; stir in lemon rind and vanilla.
- Combine the jam and juice in a small microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at high for 15 seconds, stirring until the jam dissolves. Set aside.
- Cut cake crosswise into 5 (3-inch- wide) pieces. Cut cake lengthwise into 8 (1 1/4-inch) pieces to equal 40 pieces. Arrange 14 cake pieces in a single layer in the bottom of a 2-quart trifle bowl or souffle dish. Lightly brush cake pieces with sherry. Spread half of strawberry mixture over cake in dish; top with 1 cup bananas. Spread half of custard over bananas. Arrange 13 cake pieces over custard, and brush with sherry. Spread remaining strawberry mixture over cake; top with 1 cup bananas and remaining custard. Top with 13 cake pieces; brush with remaining sherry. Cover and chill for at least 8 hours. Uncover and spread whipped topping over top; sprinkle with almonds.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note