So quick and easy to make AND my husband loved it! Will certainly be making this again. Great meal to make after a busy day at work!
With ground sirloin, creamy mashed potatoes, and a sprinkle of cheddar cheese, your family will never know this comforting shepherd's pie is low in calories.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 279
- Calories from fat: 19%
- Fat: 6g
- Saturated fat: 2.2g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.5g
- Protein: 25.7g
- Carbohydrate: 30.5g
- Fiber: 8g
- Cholesterol: 48mg
- Iron: 2.2mg
- Sodium: 699mg
- Calcium: 88mg
- 2 cups prepared mashed potatoes (such as Simply Potatoes)
- 3/4 pound ground sirloin
- 3/4 cup picante sauce
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 (15-ounce) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) preshredded reduced-fat extrasharp cheddar cheese
- Prepare mashed potatoes according to package directions; keep warm.
- Cook beef in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until browned, stirring to crumble. Stir in picante sauce, water, cumin, sugar, salt, and beans; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer until mixture thickens (about 5 minutes).
- Remove from heat. Spoon mashed potatoes over meat mixture, and sprinkle with cheese. Cover and let stand 2 minutes or until cheese melts.
Prepared mashed potatoes are found in the refrigerated section of larger grocers. They only need a few minutes in the microwave to reheat.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note