Yield: Makes 4 servings
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 536
- Calories from fat: 27%
- Protein: 35g
- Fat: 16g
- Saturated fat: 6.8g
- Carbohydrate: 59g
- Fiber: 5.9g
- Sodium: 597mg
- Cholesterol: 82mg
- 1 pound ground lean (7% fat) beef
- 1 cup frozen pearl onions
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 1/4 cups fat-skimmed beef broth
- 1 package (22 oz.) frozen mashed potatoes
- 2 1/3 cups nonfat milk
- 1/3 cup shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup prepared horseradish
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 cup frozen petite peas
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1. In a 10- to 12-inch ovenproof nonstick frying pan over high heat, combine ground beef, onions, carrots, vinegar, and 1/2 cup broth. Stir often until meat is crumbled and carrots are tender when pierced, about 15 minutes. Spoon out and discard any fat.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a 2-quart microwave-safe bowl, combine potatoes and milk. Cook in a microwave oven at full power (100%) until hot and smoothly blended, 8 to 10 minutes, stirring every 2 to 3 minutes. Stir cheese and horseradish into potatoes.
- 3. Blend remaining broth and the cornstarch until smooth. Add broth mixture, peas, and marjoram to frying pan. Stir until mixture boils. Remove from heat.
- 4. Spoon mashed potatoes in dollops around edge of pan over beef mixture, leaving center exposed.
- 5. Broil 6 to 8 inches from heat until potatoes are lightly browned, about 8 minutes. Spoon onto plates.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes