Shells and Cheese
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 537
- Calories from fat: 18%
- Protein: 26g
- Fat: 11g
- Saturated fat: 5.5g
- Carbohydrate: 82g
- Fiber: 3.7g
- Sodium: 569mg
- Cholesterol: 31mg
- 12 ounces kale
- 12 ounces dried shell-shaped pasta (about 1 in. long)
- 6 slices (about 4 in. long and 1/4 in. thick) day-old Italian-style bread
- 1 clove garlic, peeled, plus 1 tablespoon pressed or minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon hot chili flakes
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- About 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups low-fat ricotta cheese
- 2 tablespoons shredded parmesan cheese
- 1. In a 6- to 8-quart pan over high heat, bring 4 to 6 quarts water to a boil. Rinse kale; cut out and discard stems and tough centers of leaves. Add kale to boiling water and cook, stirring occasionally, until bright green and tender to bite, about 5 minutes. With a slotted spoon, transfer kale to a colander to drain. Add pasta to water and cook, stirring occasionally, until barely tender to bite, about 10 minutes. Drain pasta, reserving 1 cup cooking liquid; return pasta to pan.
- 2. Meanwhile, arrange bread slices in a single layer on a 12- by 15-inch baking sheet. Bake in a 350° regular or convection oven, turning once, until crisp and dry, about 15 minutes total. Rub one side of each bread slice with garlic clove; discard any remaining clove. Let bread cool, then seal in a heavy plastic bag and crush with a rolling pin or whirl in a food processor into coarse crumbs.
- 3. Coarsely chop kale. In a 10- to 12-inch frying pan over high heat, stir 1 tablespoon pressed or minced garlic and chili flakes in oil just until garlic is fragrant (but not brown), 1 to 2 minutes. Add lemon juice and kale and stir until liquid is evaporated, 2 to 3 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- 4. Stir kale mixture, ricotta cheese, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and reserved 1 cup pasta-cooking liquid into pasta. Divide equally among four bowls and sprinkle with bread crumbs and parmesan cheese.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note