Shells and Cheese
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 537
- Calories from fat: 18%
- Protein: 26g
- Fat: 11g
- Saturated fat: 5.5g
- Carbohydrate: 82g
- Fiber: 3.7g
- Sodium: 569mg
- Cholesterol: 31mg
- 12 ounces kale
- 12 ounces dried shell-shaped pasta (about 1 in. long)
- 6 slices (about 4 in. long and 1/4 in. thick) day-old Italian-style bread
- 1 clove garlic, peeled, plus 1 tablespoon pressed or minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon hot chili flakes
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- About 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups low-fat ricotta cheese
- 2 tablespoons shredded parmesan cheese
- 1. In a 6- to 8-quart pan over high heat, bring 4 to 6 quarts water to a boil. Rinse kale; cut out and discard stems and tough centers of leaves. Add kale to boiling water and cook, stirring occasionally, until bright green and tender to bite, about 5 minutes. With a slotted spoon, transfer kale to a colander to drain. Add pasta to water and cook, stirring occasionally, until barely tender to bite, about 10 minutes. Drain pasta, reserving 1 cup cooking liquid; return pasta to pan.
- 2. Meanwhile, arrange bread slices in a single layer on a 12- by 15-inch baking sheet. Bake in a 350° regular or convection oven, turning once, until crisp and dry, about 15 minutes total. Rub one side of each bread slice with garlic clove; discard any remaining clove. Let bread cool, then seal in a heavy plastic bag and crush with a rolling pin or whirl in a food processor into coarse crumbs.
- 3. Coarsely chop kale. In a 10- to 12-inch frying pan over high heat, stir 1 tablespoon pressed or minced garlic and chili flakes in oil just until garlic is fragrant (but not brown), 1 to 2 minutes. Add lemon juice and kale and stir until liquid is evaporated, 2 to 3 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- 4. Stir kale mixture, ricotta cheese, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and reserved 1 cup pasta-cooking liquid into pasta. Divide equally among four bowls and sprinkle with bread crumbs and parmesan cheese.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes