- 2 1/2 pounds lobster shells (about 4 small lobsters)
- 2 cups coarsely chopped celery
- 2 cups coarsely chopped fennel bulb
- 1 cup coarsely chopped carrot
- 2 tablespoons no salt-added tomato paste
- 2 medium onions, peeled and halved (about 1 pound)
- 5 quarts water
- calories 9
- caloriesfromfat 5 %
- fat 0.1 g
- satfat 0.0 g
- monofat 0.0 g
- polyfat 0.0 g
- protein 1.3 g
- carbohydrate 0.8 g
- fiber 0.2 g
- cholesterol 4 mg
- iron 0.1 mg
- sodium 35 mg
- calcium 15 mg
How to Make It
Preheat oven to 450°.
Arrange shells in an even layer in a shallow roasting pan. Bake at 450° for 30 minutes or until toasted.
Transfer shells to an 8-quart stockpot. Add celery, fennel, carrot, tomato paste, and onions to pot; stir well to combine. Pour water over vegetable mixture; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 4 hours, skimming surface occasionally.
Strain stock through a sieve into a large bowl; discard solids. Strain again through a paper towel-lined sieve. Cool the stock to room temperature. Cover and chill stock. Refrigerate stock in an airtight container for up to 2 days, or freeze for up to 3 months.