One spoonful of this rich Lowcountry soup will send your palate into overdrive. Garnish with hard-cooked eggs, ground pepper, and a few parsley springs for a bright note of color.
Yield: Makes 1 1/2 quarts
- 1/4 cup butter
- 3 tablespoons minced onion
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups half-and-half
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- Dash of Old Bay seasoning
- 1 pound lump crabmeat
- 2 hard-cooked eggs, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons crab roe (optional)
- Sherry (optional)
- Garnishes: chopped hard-cooked egg, freshly ground pepper, and fresh parsley sprigs
- Melt butter in a Dutch oven over low heat; add onion and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly 5 minutes or until tender.
- Whisk in flour until mixture is smooth. Cook 1 minute, whisking constantly. Gradually whisk in half-and-half; cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, until mixture is thickened and bubbly. Stir in salt and next 6 ingredients. Add roe, if desired, and sherry to taste. Garnish, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This