Shawarma Lamb with Couscous Salad
Photo: Alex Farnum; Styling: Karen Shinto
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 613
- Calories from fat: 41%
- Protein: 46g
- Fat: 28g
- Saturated fat: 8.9g
- Carbohydrate: 42g
- Fiber: 4.2g
- Sodium: 572mg
- Cholesterol: 120mg
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup couscous
- 1 medium carrot, shredded
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1/4 cup olive oil, divided
- Zest and juice of 2 lemons, divided
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 pounds top round lamb steak, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- 1. Bring broth to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add couscous, cover tightly, remove from heat, and let sit 5 minutes. Uncover, fluff, and add carrot, parsley, 2 tbsp. oil, and zest and juice of 1 lemon.
- 2. Cook onion in remaining 2 tbsp. oil in a large frying pan over high heat until edges are charred, 10 to 12 minutes. Add garlic, lamb, cumin, cayenne, salt, and pepper; cook, stirring, until lamb is cooked through and browned, about 10 more minutes.
- 3. Divide couscous among 4 plates and top with lamb mixture. Mix yogurt with remaining lemon zest and juice and serve with lamb.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.
In addition to the couscous, you can serve it with a salad of tomatoes, cucumbers, and feta cheese.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note