Shakshuka with Fennel and Feta
"Gail Simmons Unpacks Her Knives" Top Chef Just Desserts host Gail Simmons' version of an Israeli egg dish. Serve with warm pita. Recipe published in Food & Wine: March 2012.
Share Your Personal Recipes
You can now share your personal recipes with the MyRecipes Community by making a new or existing recipe "Public".
Go to My Recipe File
- 2 tablespoon(s) extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 small fennel bulb, cored and thinly sliced
- 2 serrano chiles, seeded and chopped
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- Kosher salt
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon(s) harissa
- 1 teaspoon(s) sweet Spanish smoked paprika
- One 28-ounce can(s) whole tomatoes, chopped with their liquid
- 1/2 cup(s) water
- 6 large eggs
- 2 tablespoon(s) chopped parsley
- 1/2 cup(s) crumbled feta cheese
- 1. In a large skillet, heat the oil. Add the onion and fennel and cook over moderately high heat, stirring, until softened, 3 minutes. Add both chiles and the bell pepper and season with salt. Cook over moderate heat, stirring, until softened, about 8 minutes. Add the garlic, harissa and paprika and cook, stirring, until fragrant, 1 minute. Add the tomatoes and water and simmer over low heat until the sauce is thickened, 10 minutes.
- 2. Crack the eggs into the sauce. Cover and cook over moderately low heat until the whites are firm and the yolks are runny, 5 minutes. Spoon the sauce and eggs into bowls and sprinkle with the parsley and crumbled feta. Serve right away.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by psfreeman and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note