This was a really good vegetarian meal. It reminded me of a goulash flavor b/c of the paprika and green pepper. I didn't have marinara, but had a tomato basil sauce that I thought would go well and did! The eggs were good. We had this for dinner and not breakfast and it was plenty filling. My 5 & 7 year olds loved it too.
Don't let the funny name deter you; this dish is a delicious way to get vegetables with your breakfast.
More From Cooking Light
Total: 25 Minutes
- Calories: 305
- Fat: 11.3g
- Saturated fat: 3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 5.2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2.3g
- Protein: 11.9g
- Carbohydrate: 39.5g
- Fiber: 5.2g
- Cholesterol: 190mg
- Iron: 3.4mg
- Sodium: 354mg
- Calcium: 108mg
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup (1/4-inch-wide) strips red bell pepper
- 1 cup (1/4-inch-wide) strips green bell pepper
- 2 cups (1/4-inch-thick) vertically sliced red onion
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups lower-sodium marinara sauce
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1/4 cup fresh baby basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons crumbled feta cheese
- 1. Heat a 10-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add bell peppers, onion, and salt; cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add garlic; cook 30 seconds. Stir in marinara sauce and paprika. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, cover, and simmer 5 minutes.
- 2. Form 4 (2-inch) indentations in sauce, using the back of a spoon. Crack eggs, 1 at a time, into a small custard cup, and gently slip into each indentation. Cover and cook 6 minutes or until eggs are done.
- 3. Divide rice evenly among 4 shallow bowls. Spoon egg mixture evenly over rice, and sprinkle with basil and cheese.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note