Randy Mayor; Lydia DeGaris-Pursell
This dish is baked in a springform pan to make a mashed-potato "cake."
Yield: 10 servings (serving size: 1 wedge)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 217
- Calories from fat: 18%
- Fat: 4.3g
- Saturated fat: 2.1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.4g
- Protein: 6g
- Carbohydrate: 39.5g
- Fiber: 3.9g
- Cholesterol: 50mg
- Iron: 1.2mg
- Sodium: 456mg
- Calcium: 67mg
- 3 (1-ounce) slices white bread
- 7 cups peeled baking potato, cut into 2-inch pieces (about 3 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 6 cups (1/4-inch-thick) sliced onion (about 1 1/4 pounds)
- 8 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3/4 cup 2% reduced-fat milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley, divided
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- Cooking spray
- Fresh parsley sprigs (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Place bread in a food processor; pulse 2 times or until crumbly. Sprinkle crumbs on a baking sheet; bake at 350° for 5 minutes or until golden. (Breadcrumbs should measure 1 1/2 cups.) Set aside. Increase oven temperature to 375°.
- Place potato in a Dutch oven; cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 15 minutes or until tender. Drain.
- Melt butter in Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic; sauté for 10 minutes or until browned. Add milk, salt, and pepper; bring to a simmer over medium heat, stirring frequently. Reduce heat; simmer 3 minutes. Place onion mixture in a food processor in batches, and process until smooth. Add potato, and process until smooth. Add 2 tablespoons chopped parsley and eggs; pulse 10 times or until combined.
- Combine 1 1/4 cups breadcrumbs and 2 tablespoons chopped parsley; spread breadcrumb mixture into bottom of a 10-inch springform pan coated with cooking spray. Spread potato mixture over breadcrumb mixture; sprinkle with 1/4 cup breadcrumbs. Bake at 375° for 45 minutes or until golden brown. Run a knife around outside edge; cool 10 minutes. Garnish with parsley sprigs, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables
Food & Wine