Really tasty dish that comes together in comforting flavors. Mace was over $5.00 for a small amount so I did not include, but perfect recipe as is!
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 496
- Calories from fat: 14%
- Protein: 17g
- Fat: 7.5g
- Saturated fat: 0.9g
- Carbohydrate: 90g
- Fiber: 8.7g
- Sodium: 817mg
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon ras el hanout (see below)
- 2 dried bird's-eye or arbol chiles
- About 1/2 tsp. salt
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and cut into 1/2-in. dice
- 1 medium parsnip, peeled and cut into 1/2-in. dice
- 1 medium potato, peeled and cut into 1/2-in. dice
- 1 small turnip, peeled and cut into 1/2-in. dice
- 1 small orange sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1/2-in. dice
- 1 medium or 2 small zucchini, cut into 1/2-in. dice
- 1 can (14 or 15 oz.) chickpeas (garbanzos), drained and rinsed
- 2 medium tomatoes, cut into 1/2-in. dice (optional)
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 2 cups couscous
- 1 preserved lemon, pulp removed, rind rinsed and finely chopped (optional; see Notes)
- 1. In a large pot over medium-high heat, cook oil and garlic until fragrant, 1 minute. Add ras el hanout and chiles and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Add 1/2 tsp. salt, 3 cups broth, 2 cups water, carrot, parsnip, potato, turnip, sweet potato, and zucchini. Bring to a boil. Add chickpeas, lower heat, and simmer vegetables until just tender, 15 minutes. Add tomatoes, if using, and parsley. Cook vegetables until tender, 3 to 5 minutes. Add salt to taste.
- 2. Bring remaining cup broth and 1 1/4 cups water to a boil in a medium pot. Add couscous, cover, and turn off heat. Let sit 5 minutes, then fluff with a fork.
- 3. Remove chiles from vegetables and discard. Serve vegetables over couscous, garnished with preserved lemon if you like.
- Ras el hanout: Mix together 1/2 tsp. each ground ginger, turmeric, and coriander; 1/4 tsp. each freshly ground black pepper, cinnamon, nutmeg, and saffron (optional); 1/8 tsp. each ground allspice, cloves, and mace; and crushed seeds from 6 cardamom pods (optional).
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes