Excellent recipe! We enjoyed it more with noodles the second time instead of rice. A favorite for sure.
Sesame Tofu Stir-Fry over Rice
Becky Luigart-Stayner; Lydia DeGaris-Pursell
Be careful when stir-frying sesame seeds as they tend to pop and splatter. If you can't find black sesame seeds, use light sesame seeds instead.
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1/2 cup rice and 1 1/2 cups mushroom mixture)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 423
- Calories from fat: 38%
- Fat: 18g
- Saturated fat: 2.7g
- Monounsaturated fat: 5.4g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 8.8g
- Protein: 26.3g
- Carbohydrate: 43.1g
- Fiber: 8.5g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Iron: 15.4mg
- Sodium: 737mg
- Calcium: 853mg
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon black sesame seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 (1-pound) package firm or extrafirm tofu, drained and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 teaspoons peanut oil
- 2 teaspoons dark sesame oil
- Cooking spray
- 4 cups thinly sliced shiitake mushroom caps (about 3/4 pound)
- 3 cups (2-inch) slices asparagus (about 1 pound)
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 1/2 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon chili garlic sauce (such as Lee Kum Kee)
- 2 cups cooked long-grain brown rice
- Combine sesame seeds and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a large bowl. Add the tofu cubes; toss gently to coat. Combine oils in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add tofu; stir-fry 5 minutes or until tofu is golden. Remove tofu from pan; keep warm.
- Return pan to heat; coat with cooking spray. Add mushrooms; stir-fry 3 minutes or until mushrooms begin to brown. Add asparagus; stir-fry 4 minutes or until asparagus is crisp-tender. Reduce heat to medium; stir in green onions.
- Combine broth and next 4 ingredients (broth through garlic sauce). Add broth mixture to pan; remove from heat (sauce will thicken). Add tofu and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt; toss gently to combine. Serve over rice.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes