I rarely dislike a CL recipe, but I'd never make this again and we ate it simply because we don't waste food. The chicken itself has no seasoning, no marinade, no nothing. The sauce is salty by the time the chicken stock reduces (and there's salt in that sesame seed mixture). The sauce itself is rather thick and grainy. Also, the chicken breasts I had were rather large but they still only took about 4 min per side. (remember they need to be kept warm while waiting for the sauce, so they're kind of "cooking" longer once off the stove and onto a plate). If I'd followed the directions, they'd have been tough and chewy. Nothing to recommend this one.
Photo: Randy Mayor
Ground sesame seeds thicken the sauce as it cooks. Serve with a salad and bread.
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 chicken breast half and 3 tablespoons sauce)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 271
- Calories from fat: 30%
- Fat: 9.1g
- Saturated fat: 2.5g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.4g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2.2g
- Protein: 41.1g
- Carbohydrate: 4g
- Fiber: 0.7g
- Cholesterol: 106mg
- Iron: 1.9mg
- Sodium: 377mg
- Calcium: 70mg
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds, toasted
- 1 tablespoon grated orange rind
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- Dash of ground red pepper
- 4 (6-ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon whipping cream
- Combine sesame seeds, rind, 1/8 teaspoon salt, and pepper in a food processor; process until the mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Place each chicken breast half between 2 sheets of heavy-duty plastic wrap; pound to 1/4-inch thickness using a meat mallet or rolling pin. Sprinkle chicken evenly with 1/8 teaspoon salt.
- Heat oil and butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until butter melts. Add chicken; cook 6 minutes on each side or until done. Remove chicken from pan; keep warm.
- Add ground sesame mixture to pan, stirring with a whisk. Add broth, and bring to a boil, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Cook broth mixture until reduced to 2/3 cup (about 3 minutes). Add orange juice and cream; cook 30 seconds, stirring constantly. Serve sauce over chicken.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes