I like sesame but this was too much. DD wouldn't even try it. I make a Thai-inspired cucumber salad that my family prefers over this. Oh well, always good to try new things now and again.
Sesame-Miso Cucumber Salad
Miso is a thick soybean paste with a salty, slightly sweet flavor. To use in this Sesame-Miso Cucumber Salad recipe, look for it in the refrigerated part of the produce section or with the dairy products, or substitute soy sauce.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 60
- Fat: 2.7g
- Saturated fat: 0.2g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.6g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.7g
- Protein: 1.9g
- Carbohydrate: 7.2g
- Fiber: 1.6g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Iron: 3.8mg
- Sodium: 182mg
- Calcium: 12mg
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sesame seeds, toasted
- 2 tablespoons white miso (soybean paste) or lower-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon hot water
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 teaspoons dark sesame oil
- 4 cups thinly sliced seeded cucumber
- 1. Combine first 7 ingredients in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk. Add cucumber; toss to coat.
- SAUTÉED MISO VARIATION: Omit seeds, honey, and red pepper; decrease miso to 1 1/2 tablespoons. Combine miso, water, vinegar, 1 tablespoon sliced green onions, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, and 1/8 teaspoon salt. Heat 1 tablespoon sesame oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add cucumber to pan; sauté 4 minutes. Toss cucumber with juice mixture.
- Yield: 6 servings.
- CALORIES 38; FAT 2.4g (sat 0.3g); SODIUM 186mg
- GREEK VARIATION: Omit first 7 ingredients; decrease cucumber to 2 cups. Combine 1 1/2 tablespoons minced red onion, 1 tablespoon chopped parsley, 3/4 teaspoon chopped oregano, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, 1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil, and 1/8 teaspoon salt. Toss with cucumber, 1 cup quartered cherry tomatoes, and 1/2 cup orange bell pepper strips. Yield: 4 servings. CALORIES 40; FAT 1.9g (sat 0.3g); SODIUM 86mg
- SPICY PASTA VARIATION: Increase seeds to 3 tablespoons; add 1 cup thinly sliced green onions and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Combine seeds and remaining ingredients in a large bowl. Cut 1 (9-ounce) package fresh linguine into thirds; cook according to directions. Drain; rinse with cold water. Toss pasta with cucumber mixture. Yield: 6 servings. CALORIES 207; FAT 5.2g (sat 1.1g); SODIUM 294mg
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note