I used diced skinless chicken breasts for this and gave it 3hrs on low and the chicken was perfect. I made as directed but added a couple of thinly sliced thai chilies as we like our food quite hot. I didn't thicken the sauce and it was lovely to soak into the rice. We both really enjoyed it with some fresh veg and notoriously fussy hubby is already asking when we are going to have it again.
Serve over steamed rice to savor every bit of the sweet Asian glaze. This classic dish is a slow-cooker must-have on your weeknight meal planner.
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 2 chicken thighs, 1/3 cup sauce, 1/2 teaspoon sesame seeds, and 1 1/2 teaspoons green onions)
More From Oxmoor House
Amount per serving
- Calories: 310
- Calories from fat: 0.0%
- Fat: 11.6g
- Saturated fat: 2.4g
- Monounsaturated fat: 4g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 3.6g
- Protein: 36.7g
- Carbohydrate: 12g
- Fiber: 0.6g
- Cholesterol: 148mg
- Iron: 2.3mg
- Sodium: 656mg
- Calcium: 34mg
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 8 bone-in chicken thighs (2 3/4 pounds), skinned
- Cooking spray
- 1/4 cup lower-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 5 teaspoons hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons sliced green onions
- 1. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add chicken; cook 4 minutes on each side or until golden. Transfer chicken to a 4-quart electric slow cooker coated with cooking spray.
- 2. Combine soy sauce and next 5 ingredients (through garlic); pour over chicken. Cover and cook on LOW for 2 1/2 hours or until chicken is tender. Transfer chicken to a platter; keep warm.
- 3. Pour cooking liquid through a sieve into a small saucepan to measure 1 1/4 cups. Discard solids. Bring cooking liquid to a boil over medium-high heat. Combine cornstarch and 1 tablespoon cold water in a small bowl. Add cornstarch mixture to sauce, stirring with a whisk until blended. Return to a boil. Cook 1 minute or until sauce thickens, stirring constantly. Serve sauce over chicken. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and green onions.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note