Sesame Ginger Chicken
Share Your Personal Recipes
You can now share your personal recipes with the MyRecipes Community by making a new or existing recipe "Public".
Go to My Recipe File
- 2.5 pound(s) boneless, skinless chicken thighs cut into 1-inch cubes
- 6 tablespoon(s) sesame oil
- 2.5 tablespoon(s) sugar
- 1 tablespoon(s) soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon(s) cracked black pepper
- 1 cup(s) plus 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Vegetable or peanut oil
- 2 tablespoon(s) minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon(s) minced ginger
- 4 tablespoon(s) Chinese Shoaxing rice wine
- 2 tablespoon(s) hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoon(s) oyster sauce
- 2 tablespoon(s) low-sodium soy sauce
- 1.5 tablespoon(s) honey
- 1 tablespoon(s) sambal chili sauce
- 1 tablespoon(s) Thai chili sauce
- 1 lemon, zest and juice
- Toasted sesame seeds, for garnish
- Scallions, thinly sliced on an angle, for garnish
- Rice, for serving
- For the chicken marinade: In a mixing bowl, combine the chicken with the sesame oil, sugar, soy sauce and pepper. Toss to coat, cover, place in the refrigerator and let sit 1 hour.
- For the stir-fry: Remove the chicken from the fridge. Add 1 cup cornstarch to a shallow baking dish and dredge each piece of chicken, shaking off any excess.
- Fill a Dutch oven or high-sided saute pan with enough oil to completely submerge the chicken pieces. Heat over high heat until glossy and the temperature reaches 375 degrees F. Deep fry the chicken until golden brown, about 3 minutes, adding your chicken in batches to avoid overcrowding and to keep your oil from dropping in temp too much. Remove to a paper towel-lined plate.
- In a large saute pan, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat. Add the garlic and ginger and cook until golden brown and fragrant, about 30 seconds. Next, add the rice wine, hoisin, oyster sauce, soy sauce, honey and the chili sauces; bring to a simmer.
- In a glass measuring cup, mix the remaining 2 tablespoons cornstarch with 1/4 cup very cold water (make sure you water is cold to avoid lumps!), whisking until combined. Add the mixture to the sauce and simmer for an additional minute, until the sauce thickens. Adjust seasoning to taste. Squeeze the lemon over the chicken at the end before serving. Add in the fried chicken and toss to coat with the sauce. Add the lemon zest and juice. Garnish with toasted sesame seeds and scallions.
- Serve warm over rice
This recipe is a personal recipe added by PatrickWheeler and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note