Sesame Fried Artichokes
This easy-to-eat appetizer borrows from Roman-style fried artichokes and adds Asian flavors. They're a snap to whip up.
Yield: Serves 4
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 265
- Calories from fat: 69%
- Protein: 4.8g
- Fat: 21g
- Saturated fat: 2.6g
- Carbohydrate: 19g
- Fiber: 7.4g
- Sodium: 267mg
- Cholesterol: 5.1mg
- About 2 cups vegetable oil for frying
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 3 pounds baby artichokes
- 1 lemon, cut in quarters
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds
- Kosher salt
- 1. Heat oil in a medium pot over medium heat until it reaches 350° on a deep-fry thermometer; when oil is hot, reduce heat to low. Mix mayonnaise and sesame oil; set aside.
- 2. Use a paring knife to shave stem ends of the artichoke to a point like a pencil. Remove all outer green and tough leaves until you reach the yellowish core. Cut each artichoke in half and put in a bowl of ice water. Squeeze lemon quarters into water and drop in peels.
- 3. Drain artichoke pieces and blot dry with a towel. Working in 2 batches, cook artichokes until browned and crispy, about 8 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to transfer to a paper towel to drain. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and salt to taste. Serve with mayo.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Appetizers