We loved it but the sauce was too salty. We used less sodium soy sauce. The only different thing we used was beef broth instead of chicken by accident but it was also low sodium. I don't think that the beef broth made it saltier. But it was still delicious, we will definitely make it again. My son is very picky and he loved it. The sesame seeds part is my favorite.
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 1/2 cup canned low-sodium chicken broth or homemade stock
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 egg white
- 2 pounds center-cut salmon fillet, cut into 4 pieces
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds
- 1/4 cup cooking oil
- 1. In a small bowl, combine the soy sauce, sherry, chicken broth, sugar, ginger, and garlic. In another small bowl, stir together the 2 teaspoons cornstarch and the water.
- 2. Whisk together the egg white and the 2 tablespoons cornstarch. Brush the skinless side of the salmon with the egg-white mixture and then dip it into the sesame seeds to coat.
- 3. In a large nonstick frying pan, heat the oil over moderately high heat. Put the salmon in the pan, sesame-seed side down, and cook until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Turn and cook until just done, about 3 minutes longer for a 1-inch-thick fillet. Remove.
- 4. Pour any oil from the pan. Add the soy-sauce mixture. Simmer for 2 minutes, stirring. Whisk in the cornstarch-and-water mixture and cook, stirring, until thickened, about 1 minute longer. Serve the salmon with the sauce poured around it.
- Fish Alternatives: Tuna steaks would be perfect with the sesame-seed crust and the sauce. You can also use salmon steaks instead of fillets.
- Wine Recommendation: Salmon is generally best with a light red or a substantial white. Pinot noir is the usual red suggested. With the Asian ingredients here, a white such as a pinot gris from Oregon or Alsace in France will make a delicious pairing.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes