Sesame Chinese Chicken Salad with Asian Greens
Combine different colors of greens for an especially pretty salad. Crisp, frilly mizuna tastes like a cross between napa cabbage and mustard greens and comes in a green or red variety. If your grocery store doesn't carry mizuna, try a farmers' market. That's also a good place to check for more unusual flat-leaf varieties of mustard greens, like handsome Red Giant. Small leaves taste the mildest.
More From Sunset
- Calories: 429
- Calories from fat: 55%
- Protein: 30g
- Fat: 26g
- Saturated fat: 4.7g
- Carbohydrate: 19g
- Fiber: 3.3g
- Sodium: 539mg
- Cholesterol: 76mg
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons peanut or vegetable oil
- 10 won ton wrappers (3 1/2 in. square), each cut into 4 triangles
- 1 qt. loosely packed baby or bite-size pieces mizuna (or mixed baby greens)
- 1 qt. mustard greens
- 1/2 pound (about 2) baby bok choy, ends trimmed, thinly sliced crosswise on a diagonal
- 1 cup English cucumber matchsticks (from about 1/2 cucumber)
- 1 cup loosely packed cilantro sprigs
- 2 large green onions, cut into 3-in. slivers
- 6 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons Asian chili oil
- 3 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 1. Toast sesame seeds in a large nonstick frying pan over medium heat, stirring, until golden, 4 to 6 minutes. Pour into a large bowl. Heat peanut oil in same pan, then add a single layer of won ton wrappers at a time and cook, turning once, until golden, 1 1/2 to 4 minutes. Transfer to paper towels to drain.
- 2. Combine mizuna, mustard greens, bok choy, cucumber, cilantro, and green onions in a second large bowl.
- 3. Add vinegar, soy sauce, sesame oil, sugar, and chili oil to sesame seeds in bowl and whisk to blend. Spoon about one-third of dressing over greens and toss to coat. Add chicken to remaining dressing in bowl and toss to coat. Gently toss ingredients from both bowls together, then toss one more time with won ton triangles.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note