This was really good, comforting and satisfying. I used more mushrooms and I used spinach instead of bok choy. I felt like it could have used a little more flavor, but overall a good dish. I'll be making it again!
Sesame Chicken and Noodles in Mushroom Broth
Photo: Johnny Autry; Styling: Cindy Barr
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 338
- Fat: 9.2g
- Saturated fat: 1.5g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 3.6g
- Protein: 34g
- Carbohydrate: 29.5g
- Fiber: 4.2g
- Cholesterol: 71mg
- Iron: 3.6mg
- Sodium: 795mg
- Calcium: 65mg
- 4 shiitake mushrooms
- 1 cup fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 4 teaspoons lower-sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons fish sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 (2-inch) piece fresh ginger, sliced
- 1 serrano chile, thinly sliced
- 1 quart water
- 2 cups uncooked fresh Chinese-style noodles
- 1 pound chicken cutlets
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup toasted sesame seeds
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 4 baby bok choy, cut in half lengthwise
- 1/2 cup (1/4-inch-thick) slices red bell pepper
- 1 lime, cut into 8 wedges
- 1. Remove mushroom stems. Thinly slice caps; set caps aside. Bring stems, broth, and next 6 ingredients to a boil in a saucepan. Remove pan from heat.
- 2. Bring 1 quart of water to a boil in a large saucepan. Add noodles; cook 3 minutes or until done. Drain.
- 3. Sprinkle chicken with black pepper. Place seeds in a dish. Press seeds into both sides of chicken. Heat a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil; swirl to coat. Add chicken; cook 3 minutes on each side or until done. Remove from pan. Add bok choy, cut sides down; cook 3 minutes or until browned. Add reserved mushroom slices and bell pepper. Strain broth mixture through a sieve into pan; cover and cook 2 minutes. Remove vegetables with a slotted spoon.
- 4. Thinly slice chicken. Place 1/2 cup noodles, about 1/4 cup vegetables, and 4 ounces chicken into 4 shallow bowls. Spoon 1/4 cup broth mixture over each. Garnish each with two lime wedges.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This