Sephardic-Style Fried Fish
- 2 1/2 pounds small cod fillets
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coarse-grain sea salt
- 2/3 cup cold water
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Vegetable oil
- Garnishes: lemon slices, fresh dill sprigs
- Arrange fish fillets in a large baking dish. Sprinkle evenly on both sides with sea salt. Pour cold water to cover over fish. Chill 1 hour.
- Whisk together 2/3 cup cold water and next 4 ingredients in a large bowl until mixture is smooth.
- Drain fish, and pat dry between layers of paper towels. Dip fish in batter, allowing excess to drip off.
- Pour oil to depth of 1 1/4 inches into a Dutch oven; heat to 370°. Fry fish, in batches, 10 minutes or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Serve immediately. Garnish, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This