- 6 cups sliced onion (about 3 pounds)
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced
- 4 chicken breast halves (about 2 pounds), skinned
- 4 chicken leg quarters (about 2 pounds), skinned
- Cooking spray
- 1 1/2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 2 cups thinly sliced carrot
- 1 1/2 cups less-sodium, fat-free chicken broth
- 1/2 cup pimiento-stuffed olives
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 Scotch bonnet pepper, pierced with a fork
- 4 cups hot cooked long-grain rice
How to Make It
Combine first 5 ingredients; divide evenly between 2 (1-gallon) heavy-duty zip-top plastic bags. Divide chicken evenly between bags; seal bags. Toss each bag well to coat. Refrigerate 3 hours, turning bags occasionally.
Remove chicken from bags, reserving marinade. Place chicken on broiler rack coated with cooking spray; broil 6 minutes on each side or until lightly browned.
Strain marinade through a colander over a bowl, reserving marinade and onion. Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion to pan; sauté 5 minutes. Add reserved marinade; bring to a boil. Cook 1 minute; add chicken, carrot, broth, olives, water, mustard, and Scotch bonnet pepper. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 1 hour or until chicken is done. Discard Scotch bonnet. Serve over rice.