Senegalese Apple Soup
Notes: Top servings with thin apple slices and a drizzle of whipping cream.
Yield: Makes 10 cups; 6 or 7 main-dish servings
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 166
- Calories from fat: 22%
- Protein: 11g
- Fat: 4g
- Saturated fat: 2.1g
- Carbohydrate: 23g
- Fiber: 3.7g
- Sodium: 129mg
- Cholesterol: 8.9mg
- 1 1/4 pounds onions, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 pound Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and chopped
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 3 tablespoons curry powder
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 quarts fat-skimmed chicken broth
- 1/2 cup whipping cream (optional)
- Salt and pepper
- Major Grey chutney
- 1. In a 5- to 6-quart pan over medium-high heat, frequently stir onions, apples, carrots, raisins, garlic, and butter until onions are limp, 10 to 12 minutes.
- 2. Add curry powder and flour and stir to mix well.
- 3. Stir in broth. Stir over high heat until boiling, then reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until carrots are very tender to bite, about 20 minutes.
- 4. In a blender, whirl soup, a portion at a time, until very smooth. Return to pan. Add cream and stir often over medium heat until hot, 4 to 5 minutes.
- 5. Ladle into bowls and add salt, pepper, and chutney to taste.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This