- 1 1/4 pounds onions, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 pound Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and chopped
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 3 tablespoons curry powder
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 quarts fat-skimmed chicken broth
- 1/2 cup whipping cream (optional)
- Salt and pepper
- Major Grey chutney
- calories 166
- caloriesfromfat 22 %
- protein 11 g
- fat 4 g
- satfat 2.1 g
- carbohydrate 23 g
- fiber 3.7 g
- sodium 129 mg
- cholesterol 8.9 mg
How to Make It
In a 5- to 6-quart pan over medium-high heat, frequently stir onions, apples, carrots, raisins, garlic, and butter until onions are limp, 10 to 12 minutes.
Add curry powder and flour and stir to mix well.
Stir in broth. Stir over high heat until boiling, then reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until carrots are very tender to bite, about 20 minutes.
In a blender, whirl soup, a portion at a time, until very smooth. Return to pan. Add cream and stir often over medium heat until hot, 4 to 5 minutes.
Ladle into bowls and add salt, pepper, and chutney to taste.