- 1 (1/4-ounce) envelope active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water (100° to 110°)
- 1/2 cup sugar, divided
- 5 cups bread flour
- 1 (2.3-ounce) jar anise seeds (1/2 cup)
- 6 tablespoons shortening
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Stir together yeast, 1 cup warm water, and 2 tablespoons sugar in a 2-cup liquid measuring cup; let stand 5 minutes.
- Stir together remaining 6 tablespoons sugar, flour, and next 4 ingredients in bowl of a heavy-duty electric stand mixer. Add yeast mixture, and beat at medium speed with electric mixer, using dough hook attachment, 6 minutes.
- Divide dough into 12 equal portions. Shape each portion into a round loaf, and place on 3 lightly greased baking sheets (4 loaves per baking sheet).
- Cover and let rise in a warm place (85°), free from drafts, 2 to 3 hours or until doubled in bulk.
- Bake at 425° for 8 to 10 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on baking sheets on wire racks.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Breads