Self-Rising Buttermilk Biscuits
- 2 cups self-rising flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons shortening
- 3/4 to 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
- Combine flour, baking powder, and sugar; stir well. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse meal. Gradually add buttermilk, stirring until dry ingredients are moistened.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface, and knead 10 to 12 times.
- Roll dough to 1/2-inch thickness; cut with a 3 1/4-inch biscuit cutter. Place biscuits on a greased baking sheet; brush with butter. Bake at 450° for 12 minutes or until lightly browned.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note